What is the Fishbone Diagram template?
Use our already pre-filled or blank fishbone diagram to explore all the things that have led to a severe problem within your application, product, or service. List out collaboratively with your team what could be the cause, and only then start to think about the solutions. Focus on solving the problem completely first rather than just addressing parts of it and having the problem run on and on again.
Make a list of problems you face in the form of sticky notes or blocks of text. Identify who exactly is involved in the problems and when and where they occur. Fill out the arrangement of the head, spine, and fishbones on your diagram to give yourself a space for developing the ideas.
Identify all the factors that might be a part of your problems and see how your editable fishbone diagram grows. Brainstorm what affects the situation and add more lines where applicable. Wherever a cause is large or complex, break it down into smaller sub-causes.
Once your diagram shows all the possible reasons behind the problem, investigate them further and more deeply. Carry out surveys, set up investigations, or run additional tests, depending on your findings and the methods you want to continue with.
What are the benefits of the Fishbone Diagram template?
Thanks to the Fishbone Diagram template, you can:
- Discover the root causes of a problem together with your teammates during a collaborative video call or brainstorming session.
- Uncover bottlenecks in your process and identify where, when, or why the process is not working.
- Investigate the most likely causes further and see how they contribute to the problem depending on their complexity and importance.
- Encourage a more detailed review of your tool’s or service’s problems to get a clearer picture of the dilemma.
- Capture the links and relations amongst potential problems’ causes and display them on a logically categorized diagram that everyone can understand at a glance.
How to use the Fishbone Diagram template in a few steps?
- Open the Fishbone Diagram template on a new board or add it to an already existing one.
- Invite your team to the board by sending an email invitation or sharing the board URL.
- Join the audio and video chat with your teammates to see their faces and talk to each other when analyzing possible causes and effects of problems.
- Write the main issue on the left side of the fishbone diagram, the head. Be as concise as possible.
- Brainstorm all the factors that can contribute to the problem and define them on available blue sticky notes.
- Think of all possible root causes and write them on horizontal lines (virtual fishbones).
- Review all the ideas you and your team came up with and identify the most likely causes using the voting feature. Agree together on the action points to start working on solutions. Turn the most voted sticky notes into actionable Jira items with two clicks.