What is the Timeline Retrospective template?
A timeline retrospective is a structured team meeting that provides a visual overview of the last completed Sprint, enabling participants to reflect on past events and outcomes. During this retrospective format, a chronological timeline is created, highlighting key milestones, tasks, or events. Team members collectively analyze the sequence of activities, discussing what went well and areas that could be improved.
The timeline retrospective serves as a valuable learning exercise, offering a holistic perspective on the team’s development. By visually mapping out the events, team members can identify issues, problems, or areas for improvement during the next Sprint. The retrospective session encourages open communication as participants discuss their experiences, insights, and feelings throughout the Sprint.
What are the benefits of the Timeline Retrospective template?
Thanks to the Timeline Retrospective template, you can:
- Reflect on the accomplished work and collaboration during the last Sprint with all team members.
- Map out events, feelings, and moods to know what results from what.
- Detect flaws and identify areas for improvement if things don’t go according to plan.
- Improve the team cooperation in the future after having honest discussions about things that work (or don’t work) for the team.
- Celebrate the achievements of individual team members.
How to use the Timeline Retrospective template in a few steps?
- Open the Timeline Retrospective template on a new whiteboard or add it to an already existing one.
- Start the video call and add your camera stream to the board to conduct the retrospective session.
- Add sticky notes to the board and place them in the appropriate places on the timeline. Write down important events that took place in the last Sprint. Then, add emojis next to stickies to express how you feel about those events.
- Move to the Discussion section and start the Voting session. Cast votes to sticky notes that are the most important and need further discussion, according to you. Go through the topics that require your attention with the team.
- Go to the next step, Improvements. On sticky notes, define solutions, methods, and action points your team agrees to.
- Give Kudos to your teammates in the last step of the retrospective. Use sticky notes to write down words of appreciation to your colleagues.